One Health and Development Initiative (OHDI) is dedicated to promoting and fostering One Health news, education, collaboration, advocacy, and solutions across the human, animal, and environmental health. At OHDI, our mission is rooted in the belief that public health issues are intertwined across the human, animal, and environmental ecosystems thereby requiring a holistic approach to effective and sustainable solutions. Therefore, in implementing our various activities through social impact and health programs, media projects, advocacy, and research, the core values of “One Health” is consistently integrated to achieve sustainable results in health promotion and sustainable development.
To inform the public, advocate in spaces, and implement solutions to human, animal, environment and ecosystem health through an integrated One Health approach
To be the foremost organization in Africa promoting education and collaborative solutions to public health and sustainable development through the One Health approach.
Our Areas of Work
Based on the connected triads of human, animal and environmental health and the integrated impact of the One Health approach, we have identified 6 major inter-connected areas and scope of work in which OHDI will focus its programming. In the context of our work, we also consider them the key One Health Outcomes.
- Zoonoses – This particularly include programs and research in the control and prevention of zoonoses diseases of public health importance; including Neglected Zoonotic Diseases (NZDs) and emerging zoonoses.
- Animal Welfare – Promoting knowledge and building the capacity of pet and livestock owners on good animal welfare practices while improving their access to quality animal health services. This is particularly important for remote and marginalized agrarian communities who are often in close interaction with animals but often lack access to quality animal health services.
- Agriculture and Food Security – Advancing sustainable agricultural practices that will ensure livestock health and productivity, guarantee food security for communities, and promote sustainable livelihood for farmers.
- Environmental Health – Maintaining the health of land and aquatic environments through promotion of sanitation, hygiene and waste management practices and promoting the recovery of polluted environments.
- Conservation and Biodiversity – Promoting knowledge and appreciation of wildlife biodiversity and practical implementation of good conservation practices. This is particularly important for key rural and/or remote communities with high biodiverse land and marine ecosystems.
- Antimicrobial Resistance – Promoting public awareness and education on the rising public health threats of AMR, implementing evidenced-based research, and ensuring best practices are implemented in its control.
Our Implementation Strategies
We have identified key strategies that are deemed effective in achieving our goals in utilizing the One Health approach to promote integrated human, animal and environmental health. These include the following;
- Community-based Projects – Implementation of community-based projects that fall under our respective programmatic focus areas. We would ensure that projects are relevant and directly meet the core needs of the target communities.
- Media – Utilization of online and traditional media tools to promote news, information, education, awareness and advocacy on relevant and contending One Health issues.
- Advocacy and Policy Influencing – Engaging policy-makers and influencers at local, state and national levels, and advocating for the establishment and implementation of relevant policy framework and laws that would achieve our respective programmatic goals and the overall goal of One Health.
- Research – Conducting and promoting scientific research for inform evidence-based solutions that would advance One Health outcomes and help us achieve our programmatic goals. This can be conducted internally within the organization or in collaboration with external stakeholders, institutions and organizations.
- Technology – Utilization and integration of new and existing technological platforms that can facilitate the organization’s work in promoting relevant information and facilitating service delivery.