The Fisheries Division (NFI) of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is responsible for the economic, social, institutional, governance and policy aspects of FAO’s activities related to fisheries and aquaculture and their development, with particular emphasis on human well-being, food security and poverty reduction; post-harvest utilization, marketing and trade with due regard to the protection of the environment, food security and the well-being of fishing communities; collection, compilation, validation, trend analysis and dissemination of the best available and up-to-date fishery statistics and for the syndication of the FAO information on all aspects of world fisheries and aquaculture.
Job Responsibilities for Senior Fishery Officer
- Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams, leads, coordinates, and/or participates on Organization-wide, cross-divisional committees, project teams, and working groups, and/or provides technical leadership/secretariat services on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies
- Contributes to economic analyses including those of different management systems and approaches, economic valuations of fisheries contributions and services, as they relate to fisheries policy and management matters, to promote the uptake of specific measures in policy processes and dialogues, including to the Committee on Fisheries (COFI) and related sub-committees
- Analyzes global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide critical input into the FAO Strategic Objectives, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies.
- Implements and monitors programmes of work involving the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks.
- Conduct, design and oversees research and analysis activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications and/or on-going programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services.
- Provides technical and policy advice to Member countries and technical support to decentralized offices in the development and implementation of their programmes
- Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning, on-line tools.
- Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders.
- Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Provides technical leadership on all aspects of fisheries management in support of FAO programmes of work and country needs, including regional and global policy and standard setting bodies
- Job post is in Rome, Italy
- Advanced university degree in natural resource management, fisheries policy or marine affairs with a specialization in access, tenure and/or governance, or other fields related to applied natural resource policy-making, management and conservation.
- 10 years of relevant experience in in policy-making and management of fisheries or related natural resources, conservation and economics, with experience working with and across diverse stakeholder groups.
- Working knowledge of English (level C) and limited (level B) knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
- Extent and relevance of experience or knowledge of policy issues of national and international natural resource tenure policy and management and the role of international organizations in connection with them
- Extent and relevance of experience in planning and implementation of programmes related to fisheries or natural resource management in development organization
The application deadline is January 22, 2021